Mr. Modern, the Minis and I are getting ready for our summer family road trip. Really looking forward to getting away with my family but before I get to enjoy the fun I have to pack…
Packing is not my favorite activity for any destination – how am I supposed to live out of a little rolling box for a couple of weeks and still love my look?
When it comes to packing for a trip I do have a plan – it may not be the most brilliant plan out there…but it works for me.
Here’s my packing plan that helps ease the pain and ensures that I don’t over pack:
A week before the trip
- The suitcase comes out of its hiding place in the room we shall not name.
- I spend an afternoon trying on different combinations of possible items I would like to take
- The items from the afternoon go into the suitcase – doesn’t matter if I have too many items for a however long I will be away
Mid Week before the trip
- I take another look at the items I have already put in the suitcase. Most often I am thinking – “What the heck was I thinking?” – when I take the second look through the items that I packed already.
- I pull the “What the heck was I thinking items” out of the suitcase and walk away
One Day Before the trip
- Now I really have to take this seriously as we are leaving the next day – I take my final look through the items and by this time I feel pretty confident that I have made the right decisions after going through the items a few times during the week
- By this time the suitcase is looking very manageable with some room to spare – for those items I buy on the trip – you know how that goes. Then I remember…. Mr. Modern coming with me – I guess I better find another suitcase…..
Morning of Trip
- The panic sets in – but – I do not give into the pressure of going through my suitcase again to make sure that I have what I need. It’s done – I’ve thought about it all week – and the items in the suitcase are perfect – most of the time. Besides I can always buy what I need to fill in the gaps. A new pair of shoes, scarf, swim suit….. just saying…
- All the last minute items like my cosmetics bag, hair items etc go into the suitcase moments before Mr. Modern leaves without me and….We Are Off
Happy Vacation Travels to you all this Summer. What’s in your travel bag?
My cosmetics kit essentials: Naked 2 Palette – perfect for travel as it’s all I need in one little package, Cake dry powder shampoo,Korres primer, L’Occitane hand cream, Tarte Bronzer, Josie Margan Cheek Gelee, Eos lip balm, Bare Minerals powder, Dior lipstick, Touche Eclat Pen, Tarte Mascara, Olay CC Cream.
My clothing essentials: maxi dress, swim suit, light sweater, light scarf for head wrap or if it’s chilly in the evening, tanks and tees, shorts, sandals and cross body purse for hands free shopping. I like to choose items from the same color palette to mix and match with – less clothes to bring if all your colors work together and you have the freedom to mix and match.